mandag den 9. april 2012

Chapter 9, part 1

They spent a few hours in silence. Catherine regretted having reminded the prince about his spell. She could understand his problem. Even his anger. He had taken a giant risk in order to have a chance of getting the throne, and now he was likely to get it simply by inheritance. He was still magically bound to a group of women and he was still forced to marry one of them. Now there was the added difficulty of convincing them to come back. Of course, he was almost done with his decision as it was, so he would most likely just send a proposal.

She hoped he would chose well. Maybe princess Lily Maria. She had seemed to like Catherine, and it might mean that she would be able to stay. Princess Iris did not trust her even a little, but maybe if the prince told her why she had been acting as she had, she would still have a chance. Lady Corinna was a more cold person, and she was unlikely to care at all what happened to Catherine. That is, unless Catherine had a chance to talk to her and convince her of her usefulness.

Their food was done. The prince handed her some of the meat and smiled at her again. She felt better. Maybe he was forgetting her comment and they could go back to the easy companionship they had been enjoying.

"I'm glad we have time for sitting still," she said.

The prince nodded.

"I'm glad you took over the cooking," he answered.

They went to bed early, but the silence was gone.

In the morning the prince checked their position again. He did not seem happy, but he did not tell her to hurry up either. She asked him what he had seen, but he just shook his head. She kept her mouth shut after that.

They stayed in their camp site for the day, which Catherine took to mean that the assassins were not closing in on them after all. She spent several hours cutting up the deer while the prince cooked the pieces. They packed the cooked meat into an extra bag. They cooked more than they could pack in order to have enough for the rest of the day and the prince buried the rest of the carcass.

"One important thing when you're out here is to try and avoid attracting predators. Either way you do not want maggots crawling across you bed at night. Bury what you cannot eat. It is better that way. But try not to kill unless you are also able to use the animal. It is just a waste."

Catherine nodded and tried to pay attention.

"I understand that you are still quite interested in outdoor living," he said.

"Yes, sir," she answered.

"Well, I doubt you are going to ever need any of this knowledge, but there is no harm in telling you."

"Why not, sir?"

"Well, what are you expecting? That I let you go live in the forest like a wild beast whenever you feel like it?"

"No, sir, but I thought I might as well be prepared."

"I doubt you will need it, my sweet. The castle is not usually attacked. And once the king's army is mine, most of our enemies will think twice before they go anywhere near our borders. Besides, I am not planning to keep this ridiculous ban on magic. That is yet another advantage. Once the wizards are loyal to us again, we will be very strong indeed."

"I understand that, sir, but do you mean that I will stay at the castle?"

He turned around to look at her, one eyebrow raised.

"Why would you even ask that? Were you doubting that?"

"Well, yes, sir. I wasn't sure."

He laughed.

"Did you think I was just going to let you go after the spell pointed you out as a person why would be of great benefit to me? Girl, where is your head? Just because I did not plan on marrying you does not mean that I am going to let you go to waste."

Catherine did not know what to say. She had been so afraid of her future and then it turned out that she did not even have a choice. It was all planned for her.

"I see," she said.

She went to sit at the fire. The flames were pale against the daylight, but the heat was a comfort to her aching body. She should be relieved. she knew that. She was supposed to be overjoyed. A life at court awaited her. A life of helping out the king himself. Important decisions would be made, and she would be a part of it. But she would not be asked. She would not be in control of her own life. There were so many questions.

She sat at the fire the rest of the day. She did not know what other jobs there were to do, and the prince did not ask her for help with gathering firewood. She supposed he did not mind allowing her a few hours to let the news sink in.

When he came to join her and they had eaten their dinner, she decided to ask the most pressing questions.

"Sir, what if I ever want to live anywhere else?"

He frowned.

"Where else would you want to live? There are several places you could go for vacations, if you want. I'm sure we can come to some sort of agreement on that."

"But if I wanted to live outside of all of that?"

"I'm going to keep you around. That is that."
"And if I ever want to get married?"

"Who do you want to get married to?"
"I don't. But what if I did? And if I wanted a family like everyone else?"

"I can't allow you to be loyal to anyone else, surely you can see that? I need you - your kingdom needs you. It's your destiny."

Catherine did not reply, not wanting him to get angry again. Without knowing, she had entered into another prison. She had even spent several months worrying that she might be thrown out of it. The irony was bitter.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar