lørdag den 7. maj 2011

Chapter 3, part 1

They went back towards the edges of the city and soon the layout of the mansions made more sense, with obvious property lines and more people around to follow to kitchen entrances. The girls were both nervous, and Catherine was still horrified, when they went to the first door and knocked.

Another elderly woman opened, but this time her tone was warm and her facial expression full of friendliness when she asked them about their business. She seemed truly sad when she could not help them and suggested them another address where they might be more lucky.

Their second destination was similar. A young maid let them into the large kitchen where they were asked a few questions by a friendly man with a slightly self important air about him. Since Catherine had no education and was no blacksmith, they were still not lucky enough to find a job for her, but they left feeling optimistic. Catherine was beginning to forget about the strange man at the castle and was back to hoping that her future did not have to involve marriage to Alfred.

The third house they reached was smaller and looked as if someone had just recently moved in. There were a few hired men carrying large wooden boxes inside and the building looked horrible, as if no one had taken are of it for several years. They could only find one entrance that was not occupied with boxes, so the knocked on the door a few times and waited.

It took a long time before anyone opened, long enough for Catherine to lose her nerve again. Gabrielle stepped in front of her when a very old woman opened the door. Catherine began to wonder if there was a sign behind the amount of elderly housekeepers they were meeting that day while Gabrielle made the enquiries.

“Who is it, Hilda,” a man's voice sounded from somewhere inside.

“A young lady is looking for work, sir,” the old woman croaked. Catherine suddenly felt dizzy. The man who had spoken stepped into the light and looked at them.

“I take it you are the one,” Alfred asked Gabrielle.

“No, sir, my friend here is,” Gabrielle said politely, pointing to Catherine and only then realised that Catherine had slumped against the wall.

“Catherine?” she said, confused.

Alfred looked at her grimly.

“Really my dear,” he sighed. “Are you not aware of the amount of trouble I am having just to be able to accommodate you? This is how you were planning on paying me back?” He began to turn back towards the room he had come from. Gabrielle stared at him, understanding what what happening.

“No sir, I'm very sorry, this was all my idea! I forced her to go along with me. I - She told me all about you and I didn't want her to go through with it. I - I was jealous!”

“And now your jealousy is causing you to admit your mistake and defend her so I wont break off the engagement, I presume?” He raised an eyebrow.

“No, I - I just changed my mind, sir.” Gabrielle looked away.

“Catherine, I will not deny you another chance, but you must understand that it would be very embarrassing to me if I suddenly have to call off the engagement due to your running away. It would not be easy for me to find someone else with such a reputation, my dear.” His voice was cool. Catherine sobbed into her hand, then forced herself to look at him, her face a mess.

“I'm so sorry. I don't know what I was thinking. I didn't mean to upset you. Sir.”

“Don't all me sir, my girl. What nonsense. I'll take you back to your parents and make sure they keep an eye on you. We can talk about this when you move in. Hilda,” he looked at the old woman next to him, who had been following the scene with a frown on her face. “This is Catherine, whom I told you about. Catherine, this is Hilda, my housekeeper.”

Catherine did a sad, little courtesy and followed Alfred who took off in the direction of her childhood home. Gabrielle looked in all directions, unable to decide what to do, then took off in the same direction, running past both of them to reach her home as fast as possible. When she passed Catherine, who was a few steps behind her fiancé, she whispered an urgent apology.

Catherine watched her friend disappear and felt miserable. She walked a little faster so she was just behind Alfred.

“I am really sorry. I have no idea why I though it was a good idea. I understand that you are being very charitable, and … I'm really sorry,” she said, in as strong a voice as she could manage under the circumstances.

Alfred did not answer her. When she looked at him, his gaze was fixed at the horizon and his expression was sour. She sagged a few steps behind again, willing herself not to cry any more.

When they reached the house, she was ordered to stay in the small living room while the three others discussed in the kitchen. She was mortified to hear the story from Alfred's mouth. He made her sound so ungrateful, like she had spat him in the face. She supposed that was almost what she had done. It was not his fault that she was too proud to be helped by him.

When her father joined her alone, she already felt so ashamed of herself that nothing he could say would make her feel any worse. She accepted his order to stay in the house until she had to move to Alfred's and did not complain when he demanded that she never see Gabrielle again. A small part of her knew that she would soon be in a house of her own, and as long as the housekeeper was not allowed to rule over her, she would be able to see Gabrielle then. After all, Gabrielle was not to blame; she was.



Next page

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar