tirsdag den 10. maj 2011

Chapter 3, part 4

“What can I do for you, your majesty?”

“His Majesty is here to see the owners of this house, the merchant Jan Emerson and his daughter,” squeaked a servant in a bright orange suit. Alfred ignored him.

“I am Catherine Emerson's fiancé,” he said. “And I don't think I want you to see her, your majesty.”

“Are you, indeed?” The prince asked. “Are you sure you're not her uncle? Or grandfather, perhaps?”

Alfred's face grew red. He clenched his fists and took a more dangerous stance, only to be hauled down the stairs by two bodyguards and held down on the cobblestones in front of the house. The small group entered the house.

“You are aware of why we are here,” the prince asked.

Jan nodded and stepped in front of them to keep them away from the women. Jasper followed him, trying his best to match the scowl on his father's face, not doing too poorly. Against the prince's bodyguards they looked ridiculous, however.

“Emerson, I don't think we have to take this to any extremes. If the girl is about to me married off anyway, I can hardly see how her absence will be a loss to you.”

“It's a question of honour, your majesty. Unless it's the king who orders me to give her over and shamelessly break the engagement, I won't do it.” The servant that had followed the prince inside scowled.

“I see,” the prince said dryly. “And the orders of your future king matter not?”

Jan did not answer, but also did not move. The prince sighed and rolled his eyes.

“I will pay you back any expenses you have had due to the wedding. Twofold. And I'll pay the groom off as well, if you wish. Your daughter will not come to any harm, but it is of great importance that she is not engaged.”

Jan shifted slightly, the prince smirked and Catherine felt dizzy. She had a very good chance of getting out of the marriage with Alfred. But then it involved a very uncertain future in the castle what ever that meant. She was unnerved by the way the prince kept looking at her and leaning forward.

“I see I have your attention, Mr Emerson,” the prince said. “So will you name me your price, or should I just make a guess?” Jan hissed and stood up even straighter.

“You are insulting me, your majesty.” The servant in the orange suit was beginning to look as if he would explode with anger.

“I will not sell you my daughter. We are honourable people and she is worth more than you can pay.”

Catherine was not sure if she was overjoyed that he was protecting her or very afraid of what the protection would cost her.

“And I will not give up so easily. I made you a most generous offer. You an accept it now or you can make yourself an enemy right here and now. I will not allow this girl to be married to anyone.”

Jan looked at odds with himself.

“I know,” he blurted. The prince raised an eyebrow.

“You know?”

“Your plans, that is. I know why you want her.” He looked as if he expected someone to cut their sword through him at any moment.

“I see.”

There was a moment of tension between them.

“If you will not accept my offer, I am afraid we will see each other again this evening. You will not be left a choice, but if you change your mind before then, do not hesitate to let me know.”

It took the large amount of people outside the house a long time to turn the carriages around and return, especially since they had caused a considerable crowd to gather outside the house. Jan did not move before the prince was far gone. By the, Alfred had come back inside, still completely worked up.

“We will get this over with right now,” Jan said to him. Alfred's brow furrowed.

“Now? I'm not sure I can do that, my friend. I see your point, but that's just so...”

“It's up to you, my friend, but I have already invested the bride price you paid, and I don't know how we can easily explain that she is gone.”

Catherine stared at them, her mind ringing with alarm, but unable to grasp the meaning of their discussion. She looked at Martha, but she seemed too caught up in her own thoughts to notice.

“What is happening?” Her voice was too small.

“No one can force you to divorce, Catherine,” Jan said. “If Alfred wishes to save his dignity, the two of you will have to get married right away.”

Catherine made a strange sound in her throat.

“I'm sorry, dad, but I don't want to! Not now,” she screeched.

“I have to agree, Jan. It's just no good to do it now.”

“It's your choice, Alfred.”

Just then, a man arrived at the door. He excused himself and announced that he came with a message for them.

“His Majesty the Prince gracefully offers Jan Emerson a payment of five hundred gold pieces fin exchange for the breaking of the engagement of his daughter Catherine Emerson,” he read. The held out a large bag in his hands.
“I'm supposed to give you this if you agree, sir,” he explained.

Alfred's face grew dark red again.

“This is an outrage,” he hissed. “Never mind about all that, this is too much. I will marry her right now.”

Catherine cried out again, suddenly filled with the desire to run out of the house and all the way to the castle to beg the prince to save her. A second thought about simply running out of the city and making a life for herself on the road occurred to her. That would probably be a lot safer. She did not trust the prince.
Martha grabbed her around the wrist and dragged her into the bedroom.

“Stop being such a baby,” she demanded. “We are going to put you in a nice dress, and then you'll do your duty and make up for this entire farce by giving that nice man your yes.”



Next page

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar