mandag den 9. maj 2011

Chapter 3, part 3

Catherine gulped and did her best not to let herself fall back down on the chair. Her mouth formed the polite answer she wanted to give him, but no sound came out. The man did not seem to care. He turned towards her father.

“Are you Jan Emerson, the merchant?”

“I am,” he answered, in a shaky voice. Martha's angry glance at Catherine told her that there would be no forgiveness for having somehow caught the attention of this man.

“Is Catherine Emerson your daughter?”

“Yes, my lord.”

The man turned towards her again and stared at her, then, seemingly unconsciously, took a step towards her.

“What is this about, my lord,” Jan sharply asked. Martha stared between them for a moment, then joined him.

“Did our Catherine do something, sir?” She cast another angry look at Catherine, who was breathing heavily. The man seemed to notice where he was again and drew his foot back towards her parents.

“Well, if you don't mind, that is what I am here to find out. I'm here to request that you allow me to take your daughter with me for a time.”

Jan looked confused, Martha just stared at him, and Catherine finally allowed herself to fall into the chair.

“My lord?”

“I can not offer you any further explanations, but I assure you it is a matter of great importance. To the court, I might add.”

“I'm sorry, my lord, but what is it that you need her for?”

“Like I said I can not tell you. She would stay … well, for now she would stay at the castle, and I can promise you that she would be safe enough.”

“But how long do you want her there? And why?”

“I can not tell you. Now, will you let her come with me, or will I need to persuade you with stronger arguments?”

“I can't just let you take my daughter with you, you must be able to see that!”

The man seemed to study him more carefully, then nodded.

“Very well. I will be back. I suggest that you consider the consequences well before we meet again. They will be dire, should you decide to cross me - the court.” He turned towards Catherine again and seemed to move slightly forward again.

“Catherine, I will see you soon.”

With that, he left, and the black carriage seemed to disappear within moments.

The inhabitants of the small house were very quiet for a long time. Catherine did not dare to look up or even breathe. Her fathers whisper seemed impossibly loud.

“What did you do?”

She still did not have the courage to look at him.

“I don't know. Gabrielle and I, when we were in the city, when I was - that day. We accidentally went unto the castle grounds. And when we were trying to get out - “

“You WHAT?” Jan was furious. “You went THERE of all places? Have you got no idea what you could get yourself into? Are you that stupid?”

Catherine's breath came out as a wheezing cough.

“He came out of nowhere and started asking me questions. He was acting so strange and drew his sword on me when I didn't tell him my name. But he said I didn't do anything illegal!”

Catherine was sent to the small living room, yet again having to listen to other people discussing her stupidity, actions and future without having a chance to speak for herself. Not that she knew what she would have said anyway. She was horrified and more than a little confused.

Alfred arrived after a while, and the tome of his voice suggested that he was getting very tired of dealing with her and her family. She spent more than two hours in the small room, consumed with guilt and fear. She had no idea what she had done or what the man wanted from her, but she did not expect anything good to come from it all.

Her father thrust open the door and ordered her out in the kitchen again. She had to retell the encounter in every detail three more times while Alfred and Jan loudly argued about the possible consequences and who the man might be.

Alfred insisted that he stay with them until they knew for certain that no one was coming to take Catherine away. Catherine slumped in her chair, feeling like a burden more than ever, and slightly offended that it was most likely his name and not her honour Alfred was so adamant to protect.

They were not surprised when carriages arrived early the next morning, filling the street with the sound of the horses and wheels, the shouted commands of the drivers and the cries of protest from the people who lived there.

“His Majesty the Prince wishes to speak with you,” was the message delivered by a young man in a luxurious uniform. Jan grabbed his hair in hist fists and stared out the window in disbelief.

“Didn't I know it!” He cried. “It's the prince!” A tormented sound came out of his throat and he turned an accusatory finger on Catherine.

“The prince is supposed to be out looking for a wife with magic tricks! Do you know what that means? Have you got any idea what he's going to want from you?”

Catherine hid her face in her hands and tried to shake her head at the same time. She did not know what that meant, and she did not know what he or anyone else wanted from her. It was just very likely to be something horrible.

“This is an outrage,” Alfred shouted. He opened up the door and took a step outside. The sight of at least twenty armed men welcomed him. He shrunk back slightly but did not go back inside. A few moments passed, then the group of soldiers parted slightly to allow the prince and a few bodyguards to pass through them. Alfred, to his credit, did not move from the spot to let them inside.



Next page

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar